Latest News

The History of Richmond’s Fire Department

By Florence Gordon

Published 1:18 PDT, Fri March 20, 2026

Our City Tonight New Update

They are a team of dedicated men and women who respond to multiple emergency and non-emergency calls every day, from fires to medical emergencies, motor vehicle incidents, and more. They are also community leaders and educators, offering a wide range of public education and prevention services to further their mission to protect and enhance the City’s livability through service excellence.

If you lived in Richmond two decades ago or more you’re familiar with the transition this city has undergone. Just drive down No.3 Road from City Hall to Bridgeport and acknowledge the tremendous growth of high-rise residential buildings and what this means in population growth and the volume of vehicles on the road today and ask yourself what a massive impact this has had on the city’s emergency services. What an undertaking to retrain and rebuild the emergency guardians on the front line to manage a different environment.

Initially known as Firemen, changed to Firefighters and now they are referred to as First Responders this new title is for a very good reason. We knew them to fight fires and as the city changed from 6 floor buildings to 30 floor towers how – how did they master this overnight change. Then out of nowhere we started noticing they were first to arrive at the scene of an accident or answering 911 distress calls. Although this may seem a bit of a stretch it was in 2012 when a TV series Chicago Fire aired, that the public realized how drastically the Firefighters’ role had changed. So it was more appropriate to re-name them as First Responders.

Let’s start at the beginning in 1897 when volunteers carried buckets of water working together to conquer the impossible to 1912 when Steveston Hall was created for the cannery and fishing port and follow the journey of the Richmond’s Fire Department as recorded in the city’s archives starting at 1922.

1922 The Brighouse Volunteer Fire Department was created and received a $100 grant from the Municipal Council.

1924 The Brighouse Volunteer Fire Department closed down due to the onset of World War II. Consequently, the fire department was transformed into the Air Raid Protection Unit (A.R.P.) to protect Canada’s west coast if World War II were to happen.

1939 World War II began. Air Raid Protection (A.R.P.) protected Richmond’s Lulu Island.

1942 A team of 15 volunteer firefighters purchased a car chassis and transformed it into the first mobile Air Raid Precaution Unit in Canada.

1945 World War II ended. A.R.P. was disbanded and the Vancouver Fire Department was responsible for fire protection on the island.

1947 The construction of Burkeville Fire Hall #4 in Richmond was completed and actively in service. Address: 780 Lancaster Crescent, Richmond, B.C.

1947 The construction of Hamilton Fire Hall #5 in Richmond was completed and in service. Address: 23031 Westminster Highway, Richmond, B.C.

1951 Firefighting and rescue services in the Richmond area were provided free of charge until 1951, when a paid staff member was hired to work out of the Brighouse firehall. Unpaid men were represented by the Volunteer Fire-Fighters Association and the Central Fire Committee.

1951-1969 After the first paid firefighter was brought aboard, there was an increase in paid firemen, prompting the development of Local 1286 (The Fire-Fighters Union), which was organized within the International Association of Fire-Fighters. Volunteers continued to support the salaried firefighters until 1969, after which volunteer brigades were gradually phased out.

1957 Richmond firefighters affiliated with the International Association of Firefighters (IAFF) acquired their Local 1286 designation.

1958 Bridgeport Fire Hall #3 was constructed and in service. Address: 9100 Bridgeport Road, Richmond, B.C.

1962 Brighouse Fire Hall #1 construction completed and in service. Address: 6960 Gilbert Road, Richmond, B.C.

1967 37 salaried firefighters were employed. Each hall, with the exception of East Richmond, had a firefighter on duty 24 hours a day.

1969 Majority of the volunteer brigades had been phased out and 100 salaried firefighters were servicing the Richmond communities. The Sea Island Volunteer Fire Brigade closed, with Brighouse and Bridgeport following soon after.

1972 Steveston Fire Hall #2 construction completed and in service. Address: 11011 No. 2 Road, Richmond, B.C. Steveston Volunteer Fire Brigade closes.

1973 The last volunteer fire brigade, East Richmond, closed down and all of Richmond’s firefighters were now full-time paid positions.

1976 Shellmont Fire Hall #6 construction completed and in service. Address: 9400 No. 4 Road, Richmond, B.C.

1992 Crestwood Fire Hall #7 construction completed and in service. Address: 5731 No. 6 Road, Richmond, B.C.

1995 Richmond Fire-Rescue amalgamated with the Vancouver International Airport Authority (YVR) firefighters to protect the Richmond community as one unit under new contract agreements.

1997 Richmond Fire-Rescue’s Local 1286 commemorates 100 years of service.

2001 During the attacks at the U.S. World Trade Centres, Richmond firefighters were dispatched to the Vancouver International Airport Authority (YVR) to stand by for emergency response.

2004 Vancouver International Airport Authority (YVR) altered its emergency response from municipal to federal, therefore separating its services from Richmond Fire Rescue. However, Richmond Fire Rescue continues to respond and provide support for emergencies at YVR.

2007 Hamilton Fire Hall #5 construction completed and in service. The new fire hall moved to 22451 Westminster Highway, Richmond, B.C. Designed for post-disaster support, the facility achieved its sustainable “Green” initiative designed to meet Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Gold standards.

2007 Burkeville Fire Hall #4 and Hamilton Fire Hall #5, both built in 1947, are demolished.

2007 Sea Island Fire Hall #4 construction completed and in service, which replaced Burkeville Fire Hall #4. New address: 3911 Russ Baker Way, Richmond, B.C. This fire hall was also built for post-disaster support and features a sustainable “Green” initiative designed to meet Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Silver standards.

2008 Shellmont Fire Hall #6, built in 1976, underwent extensive renovations to bring it up to post-disaster response readiness.

2009 Steveston Fire Hall #2, built in 1972, was demolished for new hall to be built on site.

2009 Shellmont Fire Hall #6 renovations completed and in service. The building was seismically upgraded so that in the event of an earthquake, Richmond Fire Rescue is able to provide emergency services.

2010 Richmond hosts the Olympic Games. Richmond Fire Rescue temporarily expanded service for fire and rescue during the games.

2011 Steveston Fire Hall #2 construction completed and in service. This facility is designed to meet Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Gold standards.

2015 Brighouse Fire Hall #1, built in 1962, was demolished for a new hall to be built on site. It was temporarily moved to 6931 Granville Avenue, Richmond, B.C.

2017 Bridgeport Fire Hall #3, built in 1958, was closed.

2017 The construction of Cambie Fire Hall #3 was completed and in service, which replaced Bridgeport Fire Hall #3. New address: 9680 Cambie Road, Richmond, B.C. It is the first facility in a major B.C. city that has both Fire Rescue and Ambulance services in one building. The 26,000 square feet facility is sustainably designed to meet Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Gold standards.

2018 Brighouse Fire Hall #1 construction completed and in service. The design of the new fire hall meets strict operational requirements to fulfill the needs of our growing community. The 25,240 square foot facility is post-disaster rated to ensure it will remain operable should a major seismic event occur. It is also sustainably designed to meet Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Gold standards.

See more canada news

See All

See more international news

  See All
© 2026 Richmond Sentinel News Inc. All rights reserved. Designed by Intelli Management Group Inc.